The ultimate in creativity, styling products allow to truly express yourself. While it can be truly intimidating to choose a product, as long as you know the look you want to achieve you should be able to narrow it down. Who knows, you may discover the perfect product by accident! Here is a general overview of style goals and which products are best suited for achieving them:
- To add volume or body - mousse and/or volumizing gel or spray.
- Define or add texture - balm, cream, wax, paste, pomade.
- Soften, straighten natural curls and waves - straightening balm.
- Control humidity and fizz and static - pomades and balms, wax and finishing sprays
- Add gloss and shine - balm, glossers, shine serum.
- Different levels of hold from soft to hard - hair and finishing sprays, glues, etc
Keep your hair texture and type in mind when you select your styling products, for example don't put waxes or pomades near the roots of fine or thin hair, it would weigh it down and give it a greasy look. When possible select styling products that are alcohol free and offer UV protection.